Thursday, March 06, 2014

medications and being emotional

So I had this ridiculous dating fiasco.  This isn't about that as much as it is about medications and how they affect us, but, I think the dating fiasco influenced my meds.....

My primary care doctor sent me to an endocrinologist.  They checked me over, my blood sugar is high so they sent me to a nurse practitioner who specializes in diabetes management.  I really liked her so I made a pass and got her phone number.  (Score one for the big guy, NOT)

That is the only medical appointment I had with her and she prescribed a medication called "clomid" to boost my testosterone and change the way my endocrine system was working.

Yeah, I've been wondering why I felt so wacked.  "clomid" is used to treat infertility in women and it messes with hormones and emotions like .....she did.

I quit taking the stuff this morning.  Hopefully in a week or so I will be back to normal.  This stuff can cause depression, so taking this med on top of the grief I have been dealing with has probably been a bad idea.

In addition one of the more common side effects is bloating and since I am now prone to congestive heart failure this medicine was probably a bad choice for me.

The other medication she prescribed, for my diabetes, I am going to continue to take.

It makes me wonder, did this woman prescribe a medication she knew would mess with my emotional health on purpose or by accident?  Did she totally blow it off when I discussed my grief issues with her?

In any case, I am, once again, amazed at my own ignorance.  I should have figured out my change in mood, the intense feelings of grief, these last two months, could have been caused by the new medications.  I stupidly put my faith in a medical professional that I know now is wacked.

On another, similar, note, when I created that profile on the dating website "ms I love you but I have to dump you because you made a single snide remark" was using, a woman who works in my primary care physicians office sent me a message, which I ignored, and she has been dicking me around on appointments.  Just my luck, attract a vindictive woman while I am breaking up with a nut.

So what did this big guy learn from this mess?
1: Don't date if your head isn't clear from the past.
2: Pay more attention to your meds, John Boy.

Oh well, serves me right for trying to date before I get my head out of this grief crap.  It will be a while before I actually try and date again and I will pay more attention to my meds.  In the mean time, I think I will try boosting my testosterone the old fashioned way, pumping iron.

There is no better way to get something off your chest than actually pushing something off your chest.

No comments: