Friday, November 14, 2014

Wormholes

I watched Interstellar recently and enjoyed it.  Bad science though, I don't care who tells us the science is good.  Long story, but, we can talk a little about it, from my perspective.

So. Wormholes are two dimensional.  I won't get into the math.  Wormholes cannot exist in a substantial gravitational field.  In fact, we probably can't establish wormholes closer than about 12 light hours from the sun.  To far for this species.

You don't have to believe me.  Don't ask me to explain further because I won't.  Any physicist who tells you different is wrong, I don't care who they are.  That isn't an opinion, it is a fact, but, I'm not going to try and argue it because facts don't change people's opinions.

That said, I think it would be cool and potentially species changing if we could establish actual wormholes within gravitational fields that could connect two gravitational fields.  We could set up a sensor system to automate evaluation of planets within a vacuum chamber and then seek out planets capable of supporting human life.

If we managed to find one, and I wrote a blog about how the odds are actually astronomical and against finding one.  It was quite a long time ago and it is called "stop with the infinite monkey nonsense" or something like that.

Of course, if we did find a usable planet, the corrupt governmental bureaucracy and corporate interests would pretty much eliminate the possibility of effectively using the resources a new planet provided.  In fact, we would probably toast that planet faster than we toasted this one.  Then we would have to hunt down another, and another, and continually toast those planets just as we have this one.

Pretty sad, huh?

Maybe I'm wrong about the way we would toast any habitable planet we found, but, the more I study people the less impressed I am with the species.

I'm not wrong about wormholes.  About the only way to establish a wormhole within a gravitational field would be to eliminate the gravitational field.  Is that possible?  Maybe, but, I don't think so and I don't know how yet.  Kind of a contradictory statement :-), but, I never say impossible I just say I don't know how yet and even when I don't think something is possible I can't break my habit just because I don't believe something is possible.

No comments: