Friday, April 16, 2010

Read Labels, check pricing, be aware of yourself.

I have received a few comments and e-mails on my experiments with phosphatidyl serine. There seem to be a lot of people excited about this subject and the results I, and others, have received.

When you are trying to do something that is best for you it is easy to jump on band wagons and get caught up into things that don't work best for you.

Your body is slightly different from everyone else's body. While it is true that all of us react similarly it is also true that we are all different. Our activity levels, the time we spend outside, the calories we eat, even how we think changes our body chemistry. When we take supplements the chemicals in those supplements will react differently in different people.

For example, back in my twenties I weighed about 220lbs with a body fat of about 8% and I experimented enough to know that I needed about 4000 calories with 2000 calories being protein and less than 500 calories being fat to maintain my weight at my normal activity level.

The other day I was in the fitness room at a hotel. Because I trashed my knee in a motorcycle accident I only do about 10 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical. If I do over 10 minutes my knee begins to hurt and I have problems the rest of the day, maybe even the next day. A guy who had just finished 30 minutes on the treadmill gave me a smirk and made a semi-condescending comment about exercise. He did about 30 sit ups so when he got up I sat down and did 50. He sat down for another set of 30 and I did another 50. He quit.

All of our bodies are different. We handle different things in different ways. A great example is this situation where I showed a guy that even at 260 lbs and a BMI (calculated by height, not measured) of 33.5 I could show him up doing sit-ups and he could show me up on the treadmill. Here is another issue. In this case the sit-up bench was inclined and I went from level with the floor to straight up. Had I been doing bent-knee sit-ups on the ground I would not have been able to do 20. I have arthritis in my back.

I am an older jock and for most of my adult life my weight ran from 210 to 220. At 6'2” that gives me a body index (calculated) from 26.7 to 28.5. However, at 20 years old and 210 pounds my body fat was under 8% and my calculated BMI was 26.7.

BMI is a great tool, but, they need to measure your body volume and weight to determine density and properly ESTIMATE BMI. The calculated measurement created by squaring your height is useful, but, does not tell the whole story. Most jocks will have a calculated (not measured) BMI between 25 and 30.

You are the only one who knows your body.

Because of my abs I will never have under a 34” waist, well, not until my abs dystrophy with age. Because of my pectorals and lats I will not have a chest under 48”. Currently I have a 42” waist and a 52” chest. This gives me a 10” drop between my chest and my waist. US average is around 5”, athletic is 7” to 9”. I have a hard time buying shirts that fit correctly.

All of these things translate into understanding your diet and how your system works.

Here I am, almost 50, used to eating 4000 calories a day and my body is changing. The death of my son caused my thinking to change, and my diet. I began eating less protein, more carbohydrates and fats. I found it easier to focus my mind on thinking tasks rather than exercising which I typically do “no mind”. Things like KATA, my numchucks, my bo, weight lifting, biking, I typically do focusing on my breathing without thinking about what I am doing. This became impossible for me after the death of my son. Every time I tried to empty my mind I.., well, I became upset.

A few years later I am 80 pounds over weight and I try addressing it. I tried going back to weight lifting, 30 minutes a day 6 days a week for a year. I cut my calorie intake down to 2000 to 2500 calories a day, half protein, 1/6 fat and the rest carbs (lots of fiber). I lost nothing. My body chemistry had changed significantly. I developed high blood pressure and type two diabetes.

I have always been a supplement junkie. Typically Protein shakes, Multi-Vitamins and B vitamins. I added E and Chromium pincolinate, selenium, fish oil, calcium (cut milk out of my diet), I started taking the meds my doctor prescribed. I switched to black tea and I drink metamucil. I believe that food cravings occur when you are not getting enough of something into your system. That something can be a nutrient or it can be emotional. If you know you are getting the proper nutrition then you can ignore the cravings safely.

My food choices have typically been good, skinless chicken, fish, lean meats, eggs, vegetables, fruits, high fiber breads. The South Beach diet is really easy for me because it is pretty much what I do any way.

I tried talking to my doctor. He pretty much ignored me. A fat guy is a fat guy, right? I had to move so I sold my weights (no room) and the rest of my equipment.

Nothing worked until I found PS, Phosphatidyl serine. I dropped weight quickly and then plateaued at 260. My blood sugar dropped like a rock. I quit taking the type 2 diabetes meds. I went off the PS for a while, my weight went up a few pounds and my blood sugar went up. I am back on PS again. I just started adding exercise a few weeks ago.

So I have proved to myself that PS works for me without any huge diet changes or adding exercise.

For me, a glass of ice water or metamucil (sugar free, 20 calories) cuts hunger cravings. I used to just do ice water, I added the metamucil and I recommend it to anyone who cares.

For meals I typically have Roll ups using high fiber FlatOut bread (I get mine from Costco). 100 calories each, 8 grams of fiber. I switch up between sliced turkey, sliced ham and roast beef. Mustard and some Romain lettuce. Quick, easy and healthy. I keep it around 250-300 calories total. I switch that up with two cans of tuna ( just dump 2 7oz cans of tuna in a bowl and eat it with a couple of drops of tobasco). I also eat Ramen noodle soup (400 calories, 15g fat, 56g carbs) regularly. I like Peanut butter with sugar free jelly (500 calories, 32g fat and 14g carbs)occasionally.

For aerobic exercise I am riding a recumbent bike when I am at home. I started at 10 minutes once a day. Now I am at 30 minutes twice a day. I am going to go back to weight lifting, I have to get a machine because of my knee and my back. It is just safer that way. I do some dumb bell stuff right now.

The point of this article is that I took the time to try different things until I found what worked for me and I am capitalizing on those items. Not everyone can cut their hunger cravings with a glass of water or metamucil. Not everyone can eat similar foods every day the way I do. Not everyone can eat tuna right out of the can.

On the other hand I like my Ramen noodles. I am not about to drop it from my diet. I like peanut butter and I am not giving it up. I watch my calories, my grams of protein, carbs, fiber and fats. I know what works for me because I read labels and kept trying different things.

What does not work for me? Anything more than 50g a day of zinc makes me sick as a dog. I can't megadose on zinc. High doses of Vitamin C. Echinacea. Lots of things don't work. I tried them.

The important thing to understand is that your body is a chemistry lab. Do one experiment at a time. Use pure substances or know exactly what the filler is.

Look at GABA. Great product, helps me sleep sometimes. They mix it with Silicon Dioxide. Look up the side effects for GABA, none. Look up the side effects for Silicon Dioxide, ahhh.

Read the labels, research and do careful experimentation on your body. What works for me may not work for you. What works for you may not work for me.

No comments: