Thursday, June 16, 2016

Gun control

I don't hate the idea of gun control.  I think gun control is stupid.  There is no evidence it reduces violence.  1934, 1968, violence increased.  Correlation isn't causation and to even infer causation, correlation must be consistent.  Gun control legislation is not consistent when correlated with reductions in violence.  People doing silly things doesn't upset me.  I expect silly, self destructive behavior.

I do hate the idea of a deadly black market where submachine guns that are similar in quality to crack or meth, which is cooked by people who flunked chemistry, are produced by people who flunked metal shop and are just as easy to buy as crack.

For over 30 years I've warned people about the danger of a black market in guns.  I watched as people started building guns during the "assault weapon" ban and I built an AR15 myself.

I've watched as we went from guys like me who enjoyed home gunsmithing fabricating guns to people having "build parties" where people who have never learned anything about metal work fabricate their own assault rifles.

Every time a market is restricted, the black market in that commodity increases.  As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply.

There isn't anyway to put the cat that we let out by passing the stupid assault weapon ban back in the bag.  We can hope it doesn't get worse, but, it looks like it is going to get a lot worse.

And when I say a lot worse, I mean low quality Saturday Night special submachine guns as easy to buy as a crack rock, and the deaths that go with that kind of market.

No comments: